Friday, May 9, 2014

Moving Boldly Towards the Horizon: My Afrofuturist Reflections



(Photo Credits)
As this semester comes to a close, I really must take the time to reflect on all the things I have done and been exposed to these last few months. I have never had so much fun and been so challenged by a class as I was with this course. The intertextuality between art and scholarship is something I have really come to cherish from this course. 

This course has expanded my perceptions of identity politics in terms of race, gender, class, and sexuality. The visionary approaches of how to discuss patriarchy, supremacy and oppression have been unbelievably rewarding to me not only as a scholar but as an artist as well. I can undoubtedly say that this course has been extremely influential in how I write both analytically and creatively. And one, if not the best things, I have gained from this course is a reflection of my many interests and the space in which to invest them wholeheartedly.

Photo Credits

My eyes have been opened to the avenues that are available to me and have validated my interests as fruitful. But what is most encouraging and truly invigorating is that I have been able to recognize the opportunity I have both as a writer and a scholar to discuss issues, promote equality, and challenge ingrained notions of normalcy and deviation. 

I cannot express how much this scholarship, this lens of discussing popular culture, art, science, research and otherness is so valuable to society. It is only when we can freely have the conversations that Afrofuturists are striving to create can we begin to more fully dismantle systems of inequality. And being able to put myself into direct contact with this strain of thought has been so very enriching. I can honestly say that this semester has necessary to what I want to do for the rest of my life and I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to follow my interests and passions so freely. 

And for all that couldn't be said in this post, you may watch here. 

Thank you all for sharing in this amazing journey with me.

- Nathan Alexander Moore, Spring 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment